Saturday, May 3, 2014

True Love


The LORD appeared to him from afar, saying, "I have loved you with an everlasting love; Therefore I have drawn you with lovingkindness." -Jeremiah 31:3

In all my days I have yet to hear someone say "I love you" and not mean it. Whenever those three words are spoken, even if only in passing, they do not pass lightly. The same may be said for the words "I'm sorry," because even when spoken in passing, the speaker acknowledges weakness.

In extreme and absurd situations one might say these things in sarcasm and fakery. Language has this incredible capacity to bespeak truth, falsehood, and many shades of gray.

Yet no matter how earnest one may be, our condition as creatures often has us saying "I love you" and "I'm sorry" without considering the full import of the words.

Take it up another notch to, "I forgive you." These words encompass sorrow and love in full measure. This is the language of God, the Creator, and from it comes life.

The nature and expense of saying these words is true and deep because they have their origin in the innocent suffering and death of Christ Jesus Who, as true God begotten of the Father from eternity and true Man, born of the Virgin Mary, laid down His life for His enemies and took it up again so they may live with Him.

It is in view of this truth that, to the extent we are cognizant of the breadth and length and height and depth of Christ's perfect love and forgiveness, we receive the Sabbath rest in joy, and are given to treat the sacramental words, "I forgive you," in a manner that places them above whatever the world otherwise offers.

To be "drawn with lovingkindness" is nothing less than to participate in the benefits of Christ's merits through faith, and thus to have the words "I forgive you" inscribed inside and out.

O LORD Jesus Christ, have mercy on us, forgive us, and lead us, even as you have called us to be your children and joined us to You by Word and deed.
+ + +

1 comment:

  1. Exquisite, Pr. Seyboldt. Simply beautiful, and simply profound. Thank you for these truly gracious words.

    ReplyDelete